Move to Alberta under the Immigrant Nominee Program

Skilled workers wanting to settle in Alberta can see their permanent residency visas approved faster by applying through the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP).

You will need to submit your application to the province first and then apply for a permanent resident visa through Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) as a Provincial Nominee, once Alberta approves your application.

The AINP has different streams/categories, and you should ensure you are applying under the one that best suits your situation. The program is split into eight categories/streams:

  • Employer Driven stream
  • Skilled Worker category
  • International Graduate category
  • Semi-Skilled Worker category
  • Strategy Recruitment stream
  • Compulsory Trades category
  • Engineering Occupations category
  • US Visa Holder category (currently on hold until further notice)
  • Family stream (currently on hold until further notice)
  • Self-Employed Farmer stream

Skilled Worker category

If your skills are in demand in Alberta, you might be invited to apply for permanent residency in Canada as a nominee from Alberta. The applicant must have the formal education and/or specialised training required for the position. To determine whether or not your occupation is in demand, check the National Occupation Classification (NOC) Skill Levels 0, A and B.

International Graduate category

If you’re an international graduate with skills in one of the occupations listed in the Skill Levels 0, A and B in the NOC, you might be eligible to apply for the AINP. Applicants must also have:

  • Completed a degree, diploma, or graduate level credential from an approved Canadian educational institution;
  • Secured a job offer in a skilled occupation;
  • Secured permanent full-time employment with an Alberta employer. The applicant must also be employed with that employer on a post-graduate work permit for a minimum of six months in a skilled occupation related to their field of study prior to applying for the AINP.

Semi-Skilled Worker category

If your skills fall in the C and D list of the NOC, you might be eligible for a permanent resident visa as a Semi-Skilled worker, nominated by the province of Alberta. Selected occupations of the following industries may also be considered:

  • Food an beverage processing industry
  • Hotel and lodging industry
  • Manufacturing industry
  • Trucking and transportation industry
  • Foodservices industry (pilot project)

Compulsory & Optional Trades category

Successful applicants in this category must have successfully completed the Qualification Certificate Program with Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training (AIT) and possess both the Qualification Certificate for the Compulsory Trade and a letter of invitation from AIT to apply to the AINP under this category. To be eligible, you must also:

  • Be currently residing in Alberta;
  • Have a valid work permit from CIC in the trade in which you are certified
  • Have an occupation that is listed as a Compulsory Trade or Optional Trade in Alberta;
  • Be currently working or have previously worked for an Alberta employer in their trade;
  • Have an Alberta Qualification Certificate in a compulsory or optional trade; and
  • Have an invitation from Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training (AIT).

Engineering Occupations category

If you are an engineer, designer or drafter and you have Alberta work experience, you might be able to apply for the AINP under this category. You must also meet other criteria, such as:

  • Being able to demonstrate that you currently reside in Alberta or intend to live permanently in Alberta
  • Provide evidence of related education/training and experience as an engineer, designer or drafter
  • Prove your engineering credentials by providing a “Letter of No Objection” from the Association of Professional Engineers, Geologists, and Geophysicists of Alberta (APEGGA), or demonstrate that you are registered with APEGGA as a foreign licensee
  • Have one of the occupations listed in the AINP Strategic Recruitment Stream – Engineering Occupations List
  • Be currently working or have worked within the last two years in Alberta either directly or on contract for one of the following:
  1. A reputable and well-established Alberta Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) company and/or
  2. An Alberta company that is a member of the Consulting Engineers of Alberta

US Visa Holder category

Applications are no longer being accepted as of August 23, 2010. Category is on hold until further notice.

If you’re currently working in the United States on a valid temporary skilled worker visa in an occupation that is in demand in Alberta, you might be nominated by the province for a permanent residence visa in Canada. Your current US visa must be in one of the following categories: H1-B, H1-B1, H-1C or E-3. On top of that, you must have a minimum of one year work experience in the US in one of those visa categories.

Additionally, your current occupation must be in the for the Strategic Recruitment Stream – US Visa Holder category.

Family stream

Applications are no longer being accepted as of August 23, 2010. Category is on hold until further notice.

If you have relatives in Alberta and they are willing to sponsor your move to the province, you might qualify for permanent residence as a nominee in the Family stream. Alberta’s official immigration website has a self-assessment tool that you can use to see if you meet the criteria.

Self-Employed Farmer stream

Under the AINP Program, Alberta can nominate farm owner/operators who intend to immigrate, purchase and manage a farming business in Alberta. Farm owner/operators who are considering applying under this category should contact officials in Alberta's Department of Employment and Immigration (E&I) or Alberta Agriculture and Food (AF) for further details on the eligibility criteria for the PNP program. Requirements that applicants must meet include:

  • Prior managerial experience with an existing farm enterprise;
  • Education, training and work experience necessary to develop a sustainable farming business in Alberta;
  • A business plan for the farming enterprise to be developed in Alberta;
  • Evidence that a Canadian financial institution is willing to finance the proposed farming enterprise;
  • A minimum of $500,000 CAD of equity to invest in the farming enterprise;
  • A minimum net worth of $500,000 CAD or confirmation of access to these funds from other sources.

This category is restricted to primary agricultural enterprises and priority will be given to applicants purchasing farming enterprises representing the best opportunity for growth relevant to Alberta's agri-food growth targets.


Working In Websites