Moving to Canada: assessing your eligibility

For anyone wanting to move, live and work permanently in Canada through the Federal Skilled Worker Program, there are some basic requirements that you must meet before continuing with your application.

Work experience

You must have at least one year of continuous and paid (full-time or an equal amount in part-time) work experience in a single occupation; within the last 10 years; at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 edition of the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), and you:

Language ability

You must meet minimum language levels and include the results of a language test from an agency approved by Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC) when you apply that shows you meet the minimum language requirement of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7.


You must have:
  • a Canadian diploma, certificate, or credential; and/or
  • a foreign educational credential, and an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) by an agency approved by CIC to show it is equal to a completed Canadian secondary or post-secondary educational credential.

If you meet all of the conditions set out above, Citizenship & Immigration Canada will then process your application against the following:

1. Six selection factors based on the skilled worker points grid

English/French language abilities

You can get up to 28 points for your skills in English and French. You will be given points based on your ability to listen, speak, read and write.


You can get up 25 points for your education.

You can claim points for having a Canadian diploma certificate or diploma or have your foreign education assessed by an agency approved by CIC to show it is valid and equal to a completed Canadian credential.

Work experience

You can get up to 15 points for the number of years you have spent in full-time paid work (at least 30 hours per week, or an equal amount of part-time.


You can claim up to 12 points based on your age at the time of application, with the maximum 12 points going to those in the age bracket 18-35.

Arranged employment in Canada

You can get up to 10 points if you have a permanent, full-time job offer from a Canadian employer. The job must be arranged before you apply to come to Canada as a federal skilled worker.

A valid job offer has to be:
  • for full-time, permanent and not seasonal work, and
  • in an occupation listed as Skill Type 0 or Skill Level A or B of the National Occupational Classification (NOC).


If you have a spouse or common‑law partner who will immigrate with you to Canada, they can earn up to 10 points for adaptability too. This includes their language ability, past study and past work experience.

2. Proof of funds

You must show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family once you're in Canada:

Number of
family members

Funds required
(in Canadian dollars)













7 or more


You don't have to show these funds if you have a valid offer of arranged employment in Canada and you're currently working or authorised to work in Canada.

3. Inadmissibility

Some people are inadmissible - they're simply not allowed to come to Canada. Several things can make you inadmissible, including being involved in crime, or human rights violations.

You can also be inadmissible for security, health, financial or other reasons.

Can you meet all of these requirements? Yes:

Great, you can proceed with your Federal Skilled Worker visa application.

Can you meet all of these requirements? No:

Then Canada's Federal Skilled Worker visa may not be right for you. Have a look at the other visa types, like the Federal Skilled Trades Program or the Canadian Experience Class. Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants may be able to advise and assist you further - like Brazolot Migration Group.


Working In Websites