Studying in Canada as an international student: an overview

Every year, over 130,000 international students head to Canada to pursue further education. Canada’s education system is recognised worldwide for its high standards and quality.

One of the first things you should know when preparing to move to Canada as an international student, is that, in Canada, it is up to each province or territory to regulate their own education system.

What this means is that there will be differences, even if only subtle in some cases, between different schools in different regions. You will need to know which province or territory you will be studying in, in order to be able to have a full idea of what the rules and requirements are going to be.

Can I study in Canada?

To study in Canada, you may either need a study permit or a temporary resident visa. These, however, do not apply to everyone. If you only want to study in a short-term course or program, you will likely not need to apply for a permit.

In order to apply, you must have a letter of acceptance from a school, college, university or other educational institution in Canada. In most cases, you must apply for your study permit before arriving in Canada.

It is also possible for you to work in Canada while you are there as a student. To do so, you will need to apply for a work permit. If you wish to work in Canada after you graduate from a Canadian institution, you may be eligible to apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduate Work Permit Program.


Working In Websites